Joe McKean, the Guy in the Red Shirt
Hogg, McKean and Craig, 6th ed, Errata Information
STAT 364, Statistical Methods,
Spring 2009 I
STAT 260, Elementary Statistics,
Spring 2009 I
STAT 3620, Probability, Fall 2008
STAT 666, Theory of Nonparametrics
Professor of Statistics, Department of Statistics
Ph.D. Statistics, Penn State University
Dr. McKean has published many papers on robust procedures
for linear models. These include papers on the theory
for robust estimation and testing, the geometry of robust
inference, and the small sample properties of robust
inference. He has worked with general robust estimates,
bounded influence estimates, and high breakdown estimates.
Recently he has co-authored a series of papers on diagnostic
procedures for robust estimation. Besides robust procedures,
Dr. McKean has published in the areas of generalized linear
models, nonparametric statistics and time series analyses.
He is currently an Associate Editor for the Journal of the
American Statistical Association and the Journal of
Statistical Computation and Simulation.
In 1999, he was elected as a fellow of the American Statistical Association.
Dr. McKean has also written algorithms for robust estimation
and test in general linear models, RGLM. He has developed software
for these algorithms and has recently has been working on graphical
interfaces for these methods in a Sun environment. He has
performed numerous simulation studies to investigate small
sample properties of robust estimation. Besides FORTRAN,
he has used languages such as S-plus, SAS, and minitab to
conduct these studies.
He has developed courses in the above areas and in statistical
computing. He has conducted successful short courses in these
- New Book, Introduction to Mathematical Statistics, 6th Ed.,with Robert Hogg and Allen Craig.
- Book, Robust Nonparametric Statistical Methods,with Thomas P. Hettmansperger.
- Partial Residual Plots Based on Robust Fits, (2000), (with Simon J. Sheather),
Technometrics To appear.
- A Double Bootstrap Method to Analyze an Intervention Time Series Model with
Autoregressive Error Terms, (2000), (with S. McKnight and B. Huitema),
Psychological Methods, 5, 87-101.
- High Breakdown Rank-Based Regression, (1999), (with
W. H. Chang, J. D. Naranjo and Simon J. Sheather),
Journal of the American Statistical Association, 94, 205-219.
- Diagnostics for Comparing Robust and Least Squares Fits, (1999),
(with Joshua Naranjo and Simon J. Sheather),
Journal of Nonparametric Statistics, 11, 161-188.
- A Comparison of Two Rank Based Methods for the Analysis of
Linear Models, (with T. J. Vidmar), (1994),
The American Statistician,
- Robust and High Breakdown Fits of Polynomial Models, (with S. Sheather
and T. P. Hettmansperger), (1994),
- The Use and Interpretation of Residuals Based on Robust Estimation,
(with S. Sheather
and T. P. Hettmansperger), (1993),
Journal of the American Statistical Association
Department of Statistics,
Western Michigan University,
Kalamazoo, MI 49008