Next: Exercise 5.3
Up: No Title
Previous: Exercise 5.1
- Consider the height example given above. Determine the probability that a man is between 63 and 71 inches tall. (Ans: 0.5586).
- Suppose the passing grade on a standardized exam is 450. Suppose we know that scores on this exam are approximately normally distributed with mean
430 and standard deviation 50.
- Find the probability that a person passes the exam. (Ans:.3445).
- Find the probability that a person scores over 500. (Ans: .0807).
- Find the probability that a person scores between 400 and 480. (Ans: .5670) .
- Suppose a part is acceptable only if it is less that .1" long. Suppose the lengths of these parts are approximately normally distributed with mean .09" and
standard deviation .018". Find the probability that a part is acceptable. (Ans: .7107).
- In the last problem, suppose we make 20 of these parts. Find the probability that at least 10 are acceptable. (Ans: .9870).