1. Open the Microsoft Excel data file. If your data is still in a text file, refer to the instructions on how to convert text files to Excel files.
2. On the menu bar, click on `Tools' and select `Data Analysis'.
3. Choose `Descriptive Statistics' and click `OK'. A new window will appear.
4. On `Input Range', enter the appropriate cell ranges by highlighting the cells containing the data. If the first row contains variable names, click on `labels in 1st row'.
5. On the output options, click on `Summary Statistics'. Click `OK'.